’Tis the season to turn your home into a candy cane kingdom, gingerbread castle, or winter wonderland — with or without the snow.
With the holiday season upon us, LawnStarter surveyed U.S. adults about their plans for decking the halls (and yard), including holiday budgets and Christmas tree preferences.
Below, you’ll see the full survey results, including demographic insights such as age, education, and gender.
- Which winter holiday(s) are you celebrating?
- Are you hosting any holiday gatherings?
- How many people will be celebrating the holidays in your home?
- Do you decorate your home for the holidays?
- Which parts of your home do you decorate for the holidays?
- When is it too early to start decorating for the winter holidays?
- When do you start decorating?
- When do you take down your holiday decorations?
- Do you feel a sense of competition about decorating for the holidays?
- How much do you plan to spend on holiday decorations?
- Which holiday decorations do you plan to purchase?
- Which holiday decorations do you plan to make yourself?
- Do you celebrate the holidays with a Christmas tree?
- Do you prefer to buy a real or artificial tree?
- If you buy a real tree, where do you get it?
- If you reuse an artificial tree, how old is it?
- How much would you spend on a real holiday tree?
- How much would you spend on an artificial holiday tree?
Picturesque Party Planning
Spending on Sparkle and Shine
O’ Christmas Tree
Behind the Survey
LawnStarter collected survey responses from a random sample of 368 U.S. adults aged 18 or older via Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) between Nov. 10 and 15, 2023.
Each response was anonymized using a unique user ID generated and assigned by MTurk.
Forge a Festive Façade
Get your property ready for winter — and looking nice for Santa — with our tips below.
- String up some solar Christmas lights.
- Fill your lawn with winter blooms.
- Bring your plants in for the winter.
- Winterize your lawn, lawn mower, garden, and sprinkler system.
- Heat up your patio so you can use it throughout the year.
- Prep your screened-in porch for the season.
- Learn how to repair your lawn from winter damage.
- Have a number on hand to call for any snow removal jobs.
- Don’t let your Christmas tree rot in the backyard — dispose of it properly.
Hire a local LawnStarter pro to get your yard cleaned up and looking great ahead of your next holiday gathering.