Landscaping a yard is a lot of work — in addition to buying all of the project materials and supplies, billing the homeowner or property manager, and just paying your landscaping team members. Software designed for landscaping businesses can be a huge help, but which business software is best for your landscaping business?
LawnStarter compared software suites to come up with the 8 Best Software Packages for Landscapers. Factors we looked at include key features, ease of use — in office and on site, customer support, user reviews, and prices.
The best business software can help small businesses run smoothly while eliminating hours of administrative work. Whether you’re looking for reliable inventory management, route planning, or client relationship management (CRM), the software on this list can help your landscaping business run smoothly.
Landscaping software offers a slightly different set of features than lawn care software. In addition to business management, most landscaping software will help plan and execute larger projects. If your company designs and builds landscapes and hardscapes from the ground up, you’ll need the right platform.
Here are LawnStarter’s picks for the top 8 software packages for landscapers.
8 Best Software Packages for Landscapers
JobNimbus is a cloud-based business suite aimed at landscaping and construction companies. It helps companies organize and execute takeoff plans on larger projects. JobNimbus has a highly-rated estimate system and integrated accounting software.
Designed with landscapers in mind, JobNimbus is easy to use and very customizable. It offers a free trial and will work with your company to create a pricing package that includes only the features you need.
- iOS/Android compatible
- Mac/Windows downloads
- Accounting integration
- Aerial measurement
- Contractor management
- Time tracking
JobNimbus does not publish its pricing. Prices are based on the features you need. JobNimbus also offers a free trial.
✓ Integrations with design software
✓ Fully cloud-based, no on-site IT
✓ Very customizable
✓ Visual archive of job photos
✗ Support not available 24/7
✗ Mobile apps are not beginner-friendly
- “I am glad we were able to link with our other programs. Made a seamless transition for business.”
- “JobNimbus makes it extremely easy to add contacts, write estimates and convert them to invoices or work orders and then to email them to your customers.”
- “After learning the software, it is very easy to use. I would recommend to anyone considering the program to go ahead and get the training.”
LMN (short for Landscape Management Network), designed exclusively for the landscape industry, is a cloud-based management tool. With over 85,000 users every day, LMN is a leader in client relationship software.
Bonus points: LMN users also get access to the LMN Academy. This series of tutorials and walk-throughs help professional landscapers improve their understanding of the software, their landscaping techniques, and their business skills.
- iPhone/Android app
- Cloud-based browser access
- Time tracking
- Scheduling and invoicing
- Work order management
LMN offers a free version, with a paid version starting at $197 per month, after a free trial. There’s a pro plan with expanded features starting at $357 per month.
✓ LMN Academy training and education
✓ Highly-rated estimation software programs
✓ Write project proposals with ease
✗ Reviewers have complained about customer support
✗ Pricing increases with added features
- “The LMN team is always there to answer questions, help with onboarding, training and the online video library is amazing to help your team members learn and grow with this software.”
- “This software is so foundational to our business, and I don’t know what we would do without it. We can tailor our estimates toward jobs that make us money now, and help us weed out unprofitable jobs.”
- “I used to not know how to estimate jobs to cover all my costs. LMN has changed that as well as helped me track time on jobs and employee timesheets.”
Stack was designed by contractors, for contractors. Besides aiding landscape businesses with organization, it can help you bid on contracts and win more work. Stack keeps you in contact with homeowners and handles billing and customer interactions.
With a free version available and a free trial for the paid plans, you can become familiar with Stack’s software before you spend even a dime. The main drawback of Stack is its lack of mobile support. It does not offer an app, but can be accessed through the browser on your mobile device.
- Apple/Windows compatibility
- Bid management
- Billing and invoicing
Stack has a free version available. The “start” plan is billed at $1,999 annually, and the “grow” plan costs $4,999 per year.
✓ Free version available
✓ Stack team is constantly updating and improving the platform
✓ Cloud-based software can be accessed from any computer
✗ No mobile app
✗ Web-based software can slow down with heavy traffic
✗ Pricing can’t be customized by feature
- “The ability to log in and pull up all of our project drawings on any computer. The fact that this software is web-based is great and makes this platform agnostic.”
- “The calendar makes organizing projects by due date easy. You can quickly see what’s coming up and space them out when a larger project takes more time.”
- “Seeing the constant updates from Stack shows me that they are committed to improving the software.”
FieldPulse strives to be the most user-friendly software available for landscaping and lawn care companies. The mobile app can be used in the field with any iPhone, iPad, or Android device. Its built-in messenger will keep your team connected and productive.
FieldPulse is an affordable option for client management, routing, and dispatch. It may not be the right choice for crews that routinely handle hardscaping and construction, as it doesn’t have garden design and blueprint capabilities.
- iOS/Android app
- Mac/Windows downloads
- Inventory management
- QuickBooks integration
FieldPulse starts at $65 per month, with fees for additional users. Save 15% when billed annually.
✓ Top-rated customer support
✗ Not designed specifically for landscaping
✗ QuickBooks integration with web version only
✗ Can slow down with high traffic
- “The features are great and they actually work! After trying every software on Capterra and more, FieldPulse allowed me to stop looking and get back to business.”
- “Easy to schedule and manage jobs, easy to collect payments, great database to store customer information, ability to create templates and much more.”
- “System does not integrate very well with QuickBooks and when exported, info is scattered everywhere in QuickBooks.”
Jobber provides a complete business suite that helps manage your landscape business. Its user-friendly interface lets you schedule appointments, optimize routes, generate quotes, and process payments. With the mobile app, you can stay up-to-date on your business from the field.
Jobber has a 14-day free trial and multiple pricing plans, so you can get the services you need without paying for the ones you don’t. Customer reviews praise Jobber’s 24-hour support. Jobber customer service is always on-call to help deal with complications as they arise.
- iOS and Android mobile app
- Route optimization and GPS tracking
- Dispatch and job scheduling
- Quote generation
- 24-hour support
- QuickBooks integration
Packages at $29, $99, and $199 per month with an annual contract.
✓ 14-day free trial
✓ Multiple pricing plans
✓ iOS and Android apps
✓ User-friendly, even for beginners
✓ Well-reviewed customer support
✗ Messy QuickBooks integration
✗ No integrated field communications
✗ Tough to assign backups
✗ Requires internet connection to use
- “Is a great product and does what they say it does. It’s a great tool for helping you run your business.”
- “I first started using jobber almost 5 years ago when I decided to test out the free trial. Since that day, I have continued using the software and have grown my business over 400%”
- “I love how easy it is to use for us. Easy to explain and show someone how to use it when that person isn’t tech savvy.”.
6. WorkWave Service
With over 40 years in business, WorkWave has been helping small businesses stay on the cutting edge since the early days of computers.
WorkWave boasts a robust set of marketing tools. Working with sites like Google and Facebook, WorkWave software generates 5-star reviews and keeps them visible.
WorkWave’s tools are designed for flexibility. The mobile app allows landscaping businesses to reschedule routes on-the-go and instantly streamlines the new route. The WorkWave suite covers all the bases: dispatch, tracking, invoicing, and more.
- Android/iOS app
- QuickBooks integration
- Route optimization
- Robust marketing features and customer management
WorkWave doesn’t publish its pricing information. Reviews indicate the software starts at $79 per month.
✓ Flexible scheduling
✓ Great mobile apps
✓ User-friendly layout
✓ Real-time alerts and adjustments
✗ Limited sales tools
✗ No inventory management
✗ Only annual contracts are available
- “WorkWave setup team migrated our database for us. They set up multiple sessions for training and were so helpful and professional in teaching us the working of this program.”
- “It is an extremely strong CRM system that handles everything from the initial client interaction through billing and payment.”
- “Learning it takes forever.”
7. Service Autopilot
Service Autopilot is an efficient tool that keeps your landscaping business running smoothly. It automates customer interactions, billing, and crew management, saving you hours of paperwork. With features like Smart Maps for route optimization and GPS tracking, Service Autopilot makes team management easy.
Service Autopilot is not the cheapest business software, but It gives you access to a vast range of tools and features. With advanced dispatch options, this is a great choice for companies managing four or more vehicles.
- iOS/Android compatible
- QuickBooks sync
- Payments and invoice
- Marketing tools
- Multiple payment plans
Service Autopilot offers packages billed at $47, $97, and $247 per month with a one-time $97 sign-up fee.
✓ Free trial and 30-day return policy
✓ Includes marketing tools
✓ Wide range of tools and features
✓ Well-reviewed customer service
✗ Premium features cost extra
✗ Not user-friendly for beginners
✗ “Outdated” mobile app
✗ Additional users cost extra
- “Great company to work with, amazing customer service, and they are always working on developing new features with new technology. Highly recommended.”
- “This software has an entire arsenal of capabilities compared to the cost. It’s a small investment for a product that saves time and money in a ton of ways.”
- “It can become expensive as mobile users are added. It can be difficult to learn because it is complex. Once you understand the system, it is not difficult to use.”
SingleOps is designed to make designing and building landscaping projects easy. Its satellite mapping integration allows you to track vegetation and create estimates instantly. With award-winning customer service and a user-friendly interface, SingleOps is a great choice for small- to medium-sized landscaping businesses.
- iOS/Android App
- Dispatch management
- Billing and invoicing
- Automatic estimates
- Inventory and supplier management
SingleOps starts at $200 per month.
✓ Highly-rated customer support
✓ Integrates with design software
✓ No long-term contracts
✗ Messy QuickBooks syncing
✗ Less customizable than other options
✗ Cloud-based services slow down with heavy web traffic
- “I love it that the customer can click to accept proposals so that we don’t have to deal with so much paper. It’s great to be able to put notes for the crew so that they can see information they need.”
- “From sales to customer services this is hands down an amazing company to work with!”
- “I like the tools it provides to streamline my business and eliminate gaps in our schedule.”
What is landscape software?
Landscape management software is any computer or mobile program that helps a landscaping business run efficiently and maximize cash flow. Most business software marketed toward landscaping companies provides a similar range of features detailed below:
Manages employee timesheets and schedules clients for one-time or recurring services. Most business software will automatically arrange a schedule for maximum workflow.
Job Tracking and Management
Assigns employees to specific jobs and tracks their hours worked to provide accurate pricing to customers.
Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
A set of tools that help you keep track of your lawn care company’s relationships with new clients and reach new customers. Service history tracking, complaint management, and communication all fall under this umbrella.
Tracks all services performed for a customer’s account and sends bills to customers automatically upon completion of service.
Creates the most efficient route to perform all jobs on a daily schedule. Eliminates wasted time and fuel costs. Some software will update routes for delays and cancellations in real-time.
Equipment and Inventory Management
Keeps track of your lawn care machinery and inventory of supplies. Some software can send notifications when equipment is due for maintenance or inventory needs a resupply.
FAQ About Landscape Business Software
While some business software incorporates elements of landscape design, landscape design software provides a different set of tools. Some of the software on this list can integrate with programs like AutoCAD and Sketchup to provide digital plans and blueprints. However, if your company handles large projects you’ll likely need separate landscape design software.
According to our research, compiled from several independent tech review sites, JobNimbus is the top-rated landscape management software on the market.
Depending on the size of your company and the features you need, landscaping business software can cost anywhere from $60 to $400 per month. Some software services offer multiple pricing plans with different sets of features, and others charge based on the number of technicians using the software.
Yes. LMN and Stack offer free versions of their business software, and many companies offer trial versions and demos.
Which Landscaping Software is Best for You?
Any of the software options above will help you to better manage your landscaping business. LawnStarter’s platform also offers route optimization and handles all of your billing.
If you have questions about LawnStarter’s platform and ways you can better use the services, call or text LawnStarter Pro Support at 855-800-4872 Monday through Saturday.
Main Photo Credit: Pixabay