Between the Great Trinity Forest and White Rock Lake Park, Dallas contains beautiful green spaces that are home to plenty of plants and animals. Unfortunately, sometimes the wildlife would rather move in with you, and as the old saying goes, “Everything’s bigger in Texas.” For a big pest problem you need a pest control company with experience, like Orkin in Dallas.
The upside of being the third most hospitable state for bugs is that many pest control companies service the Dallas area, including Orkin.
This Orkin review covers everything you need to know about the Orkin Dallas branch’s services and customer experience. We did the research for you. Though LawnStarter has an affiliate relationship with Orkin, this Orkin pest control review is fair and unbiased.
- Same-day service
- Satisfaction guarantee
- Services the entire Dallas area
- Orkin Dallas at a Glance
- Other Orkin Dallas Services
- Orkin Dallas Highlights
- How to Get an Instant Quote and Order Service Online
- Orkin Dallas Customer Reviews
- Buyers Guide to Choosing a Pest Control Company in Dallas
- FAQ About Orkin
- DIY Pest Control
- Other National Pest Control Companies Serving Dallas
Orkin Dallas at a Glance
Pests They Treat
|Centipedes and millipedes||✔|
|Rodents (mice, rats, etc.)||✔|
|Stinging pests (bees, wasps, etc.)||✔|
|Basic Pest Services||$200 to start, $45-$55 per month after that|
|Bed Bug Treatment||N/A|
|Service Plans Offered|
|Offers eco-friendly options?||✔|
|Does it serve commercial properties?||✔|
|Gives instant quotes online?||✘ (only by phone)|
|Has an online portal for scheduling, billing, etc.?||✔|
|24/7 customer support?||✔|
|Better Business Bureau rating||A+|
Other Orkin Dallas Services
In addition to treating pests, Orkin offers these other home services.
Texas summer heat is no joke. Orkin’s insulation can provide increased protection from pests as well as prevent your home from heating or cooling loss, which leads to higher energy bills.
There are three types of insulation which can save energy, protect items stored in your attic or garage, and improve air quality.
- OrkinTherm is the only pest control product approved by the EPA that also has an Energy Star label, and it’s made of 85% recycled materials. This insulation is treated with a naturally occurring pesticide that is safe for people and pets but will kill the following common pests:
- Darkling Beetles
- Orkin ComfortZone can be installed in your attic or garage to save energy, extend the life of your HVAC system, and increase your storage space.
- Rolled batting insulation is formaldehyde-free and can both control sound and improve indoor air quality. Plus, it’s made from at least 25% recycled content.
Orkin’s custom-fit Leaf Stopper® will keep leaves and debris out of your gutters for good.
It eliminates the threat of mosquitoes or other wildlife taking up residence in your gutters. Plus, a buildup of debris and rain over time poses the threat of serious water damage to your home.
As a “specially treated open-cell, multipolymer insert,” the Leaf Stopper won’t dent, break, or rust.
Excessive moisture in your house can lead to mold and mildew, which can trigger allergies and lower the air quality in your home.
DryZone® is Orkin’s customized moisture control program, and it works in three steps.
- Assess: Orkin will test the moisture levels in your home for free and assess current and potential moisture-related damages to create a specific plan for your home.
- Implement: Your Orkin technician will then recommend a program to defeat excess moisture, such as cleaning out the affected space, sealing up vents, putting in moisture-blocking barriers, and installing moisture meters.
- Monitor: You’ll then get regular inspections to ensure moisture levels are where they should be. The installed sensors will allow you to detect rising moisture levels so you can defeat a problem before it arises.
If you suspect an animal may have found its way into your home or yard, you may be interested in Orkin’s free wildlife inspection to ascertain what kind of critter you’re dealing with.
With this information, your pest control technician can create a custom plan to remove the creature from your property, block up possible points of entry into your house, or install wildlife repellents to keep them out of your hair.
VitalClean® is Orkin’s powerful disinfectant for businesses. It will kill 100% of bacteria and viruses listed on its label, including those that cause the flu, the common cold, and COVID-19, on hard, non-porous surfaces.
It’s still mild on these surfaces, though, and on skin and fabrics. Plus, it is rated at the EPA’s lowest toxicity level, so it is guaranteed to be safe for your workplace.
Orkin Dallas Highlights
Founded by Otto Orkin in 1901, Orkin Pest Control has over 120 years of experience. They have more than 400 locations worldwide, and together they have served over 1.7 million customers.
Every Orkin exterminator undergoes 160 hours of training, including testing in simulated environments similar to those they might experience on the job.
Orkin regularly makes it onto Training magazine’s prestigious Top 125 list, and they have also been featured as Editor’s Choice honorees.
Orkin uses some of the most advanced methods to control pests.
- IGRs: Insect growth regulators, or IGRs, use fabricated versions of insect hormones that prevent bugs from fully developing, which means they won’t be able to reproduce, limiting the pest population.
- Monitoring: Orkin places pest monitoring systems around the infested area to track pest activity and deliver more targeted pest control interventions.
- Pheromone traps: Like IGRs, pheromone monitors employ synthetic versions of pheromones, the chemicals insects use to communicate with one another, in order to lure pests into sticky traps.
Mosquitoes Don’t Deserve a Drop
Orkin has released their Top 50 Mosquito Cities list for 2022, based on the number of mosquito treatments served.
Dallas is No. 6.
Besides leaving annoying, itchy bites, mosquitoes have the potential to transmit bacteria, parasites, and viruses. Orkin has a few different ways to tackle these nuisances:
- Vegetation Treatments: Your pest control expert can apply insecticides to vegetation inhabited by adult mosquitoes
- Water Treatments: Since mosquitoes lay their eggs in water, Orkin can use insect growth regulators on their nesting sites to prevent larvae from reaching maturity.
- Prevent Eggs From Hatching: Orkin can apply microbial insecticide products in the water where mosquitoes lay their eggs to kill them before they hatch.
Beyond just getting rid of mosquitoes, Orkin annually partners with the Red Cross by donating money with the goal of increasing the nation’s blood supply in the summertime, when donations tend to dip. To that end, they also sponsored two blood drives in big cities around the country.
The annual “Mosquitoes Don’t Deserve a Drop” campaign coincides with mosquito season. In 2022, Orkin pledged to donate $25 to the Red Cross for every mosquito control service purchased from May 24 to June 30, up to $150,000.
The Orkin Guarantee
“We’re not happy, until you’re happy.” That is Orkin’s customer satisfaction guarantee.
They offer a 30-day money back guarantee, 60 days complementary service, or a full refund on their last visit if a customer is unhappy with their work.
Orkin makes an effort to show that they care about their community through this guarantee, their work with the Red Cross, and their educational partnership with the CDC.
Orkin does what they can to limit their impact on the environment.
In your home, Orkin holds itself to strict environmental standards:
- Using EPA-registered products in combination with Orkin’s unrivaled training ensures that Orkin pros properly apply pesticides and other pest control tools in an environmentally responsible fashion.
- The National Pest Management Association’s Quality Pro program, of which Orkin is a member, maintains meticulous ethical and operational standards for professional pest control operators.
- The Environmental Stewardship Group, composed of coworkers from across the company, reviews procedures to ensure that Orkin’s practices stay up to date.
If doing business with a green company is important to you, here are some ways Orkin stays sustainable around the office:
- Electronic payroll reduces the use of paper in the office.
- Public transportation and vanpooling is encouraged by offering discounts to participating employees.
- Satellite training eliminates an estimated 1 million travel miles that Orkin workers previously logged to attend mandatory training sessions. Implemented in 2006, it was the first of its kind in the pest control industry.
How to Get an Instant Quote and Order Service Online
Interested or need to know more? Orkin makes it easy to get a free quote.
Step 1: From their homepage, click on the red “Get A Quote” button in the top right.
Step 2: That will open a menu where you can either call them at the number listed, or you can choose a time for them to call you back.
Step 3: If you’d like to opt for a callback, just fill in your name, number, email, and ZIP code to schedule a call when it’s convenient for you.
Orkin Dallas Customer Reviews
Hear what customers had to say about Orkin in Dallas:
Above and beyond: “Orkin is absolutely the way to go for any pest control. They have amazing service and are very knowledgeable about whatever issues you have. Our tech goes above and beyond and is incredibly friendly and always on time. The service is well worth the money and especially the mosquito service they offer is AMAZING. You can literally see when it’s time for them to come back but there are almost no mosquitoes up until then. Orkin service is worth every penny for sure.” – Angela R., Yelp
Professional and thorough: “The Orkin exterminator who takes care of my home goes beyond expectations! She is courteous, professional and thorough. Always checks to see if I have any concerns and just does an excellent job! Orkin costs a little more than their competitors, but it is money well spent. The results are overwhelmingly better.” – Michelle K., Google
They care about their customers: “The professionalism continues; great service, prompt responses to emergencies and humans on the phone when you need them. A recent billing error that had me concerned had them responding to my email immediately, followed by a phone call, then a check in the mail via FedEx and just now a follow-up call. I’ve been very pleased.” – D.B., Yelp
- 100+ years of experience
- Same-day service
- Money-back guarantee
- Highly trained technicians
- Costly inspections
- Customer service variations with a franchise model
- No instant quotes
Buyers Guide to Choosing a Pest Control Company in Dallas
When considering large international pest control companies like Orkin, it is important to investigate what their local offices offer.
You want someone who knows the area and the particularities of pest problems in Dallas. You want someone who knows that Whataburger is better than Five Guys and that chili is supposed to be served without beans.
Here we’ll look at the Dallas area’s local offices, which pests they cover, their green options, what customers had to say, and cost.
Orkin has three locations that service Dallas and the surrounding areas.
The one in Garland services both residential and commercial customers, while one of the Carrollton locations only services businesses. The other exclusively treats termite.
- Orkin Carrollton, TX (commercial only)
3330 Keller Springs Road, Ste 250
- Orkin Carrollton, TX (termites only)
2820 Trinity Square Drive
- Orkin Dallas, TX (residential only) 6234 Peeler St.
While Orkin offers comprehensive coverage for a long list of pests, they do offer special treatments for those that are particularly common in Dallas, including:
Orkin uses non-chemical methods when possible. Where chemicals are necessary, Orkin pros are trained to apply them correctly.
Integrated Pest Management, or IPM, is an environmentally conscious method of pest control that focuses on prevention and control methods, saving chemical solutions as a last resort.
Orkin employs some of the following tools where chemical pesticides are not needed:
- Repellents come in many forms, including non-toxic varieties.
- Silica gel, the substance inside the little packets that come with foods like beef jerky or dried fruit, kills insects after they come in contact with it. It can be placed in key areas to deter insect traffic
- The pyrethrum flower creates a chemical compound that is used in some repellents.
- Pheromone traps utilize synthetic versions of pheromones, the chemicals insects use to talk to each other, to lure pests into sticky traps.
- Fly lights, as you may be able to guess, use light to lure flying pests onto sticky boards. Adhesive paper alone also can be used in areas of high insect traffic.
Not every review gives Orkin Dallas 5 stars, and those that did not usually cited a lack of communication regarding when their technician was supposed to arrive, or a lack of communication in general.
Many other reviews were from customers who were entirely pleased with their Orkin pros. People said some of their technicians went above and beyond in order to make them feel comfortable and informed about their treatments.
Others still said that workers went out of their way to rectify any errors and make sure their customers were satisfied.
Some customer reviews claimed that Orkin cost a little more than competitors, and others claimed that they cost a little less.
Monthly pest control treatments in Texas tend to run between $45 and $75, while a one-time treatment can range from $150 to $300.
Because every pest situation is different, Orkin only provides quotes over the phone. For bed bug or termite infestations, a technician will need to visit your home to evaluate the extent of the problem before they can give you a quote.
Termite inspections are free. For a home with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in Dallas, a bed bug inspection would cost approximately $114 (including all taxes and fees).
There is a standardized pest treatment plan which typically costs between $45 and $55 per month. This plan consists of seven treatments, during which Orkin treats the inside and outside of your home.
They also offer a quarterly treatment plan, which involves five visits over the course of the year. This is a good place to start if you’ve just noticed a problem beginning to bubble up. It will cost $208 for your first service and then $148 per quarter.
Their one-time service ranges from about $275-$300. Again, cost will depend upon the extent of the pest problems each individual homeowner is facing.
FAQ About Orkin
Unfortunately, by the time termite damage is discovered, it’s often too late.
The telltale signs of a termite infestation are buckling or sagging wood. Small pinholes in exposed wood can be identified as termite entry or exit points, and winding lines running through wood could be their tunnels.
Some other signs to look out for are bubbling paint or discolored and peeling wallpaper, which could indicate termite activity underneath.
One more subtle sign is sticking windows or doors. Termites may prefer to target wood around windows and doors that is easily accessible. The tunnels they eat through the wood can cause it to warp, which can make your doors or windows more difficult to open and close.
It’s easy to get termites confused with other species even if you do manage to spot one, so if you’d prefer a professional opinion, Orkin offers free termite inspections.
LawnStarter has more info on managing termites, including:
• A treatment pricing guide
• Tips on how to tell the differences between the various types, which may require different approaches to removal
Orkin offers many different types of services for many different types of pests, but for their basic pest control treatment, their termite services, and their bed bug treatments, they operate with this six-step model.
1. Investigate: They must first inspect your home, inside and out, to find evidence of current pest problems or indications of future pest troubles.
2. Protect: Your Orkin technician then uses appropriate means, like setting traps or spraying pesticides, to secure your home’s perimeter. During this phase they also will get rid of any accessible spiderwebs, wasp nests, etc.
3. Fortify: The next step is to seal up possible points of entry into your property to ensure that no more pests are allowed access.
4. Keep Watch: Then, the interior of your property is treated and pest monitors are installed in high-risk areas (like kitchens, bathrooms, crawl spaces, garages) to track pest activity and the effectiveness of the treatment.
5. Report: Homeowners are given a detailed report of what procedures were put in place. Your technician also will give advice as to how to keep the pests out for good.
6. Follow Up: You can get in touch with Orkin in between their scheduled visits to address any unforeseen needs or developments.
The EPA has a useful guide on pests and diseases they carry.
Pests like mosquitoes and ticks can carry infectious pathogens such as Zika virus and Lyme disease.
Rodents and unwelcome wildlife could have rabies, and many people are allergic to cockroaches, which can trigger asthma or other allergic reactions.
Some pests are dangerous not because of a disease they carry, but because of a toxin they produce. Read more about poisonous pests in Dallas.
DIY Pest Control
There are many home remedies and store-bought methods of pest control available for purchase. Given the training and resources of professional pest control services, hiring a pro is typically less hassle and can be even cheaper and more effective than trying to take care of it yourself.
That said, a popular approach today is IPM, or integrated pest management, which focuses on eliminating the conditions that attract pests in the first place in tandem with other treatment methods. These include:
- Clearing gutters and other sources of standing water, like birdbaths
- Storing food in sealed containers so it is inaccessible to pests
- Sealing any obvious cracks or gaps in your home
- Trimming any tree branches that touch the walls or roof of your house to prevent pests from using them as a bridge
LawnStarter is full of helpful articles on managing household pests that hound Dallas, such as:
- Cockroach Control: How to Get Rid of Cockroaches for Good
- 10 Common Types of Ants
- How to Get Rid of Mosquitoes
- How to Eliminate the Conditions that Attract Rodents
- How to Get Rid of Wasps, Yellow Jackets, and Hornets
Plus, some more articles addressing DIY pest control more generally:
- Integrated Pest Management for the Lawn
- Integrated Pest Management for the Home
- 8 Best Pest Control Companies of 2022
- The Limits, Dangers of DIY Pest Control
Other National Pest Control Companies Serving Dallas
Take a look at these reviews on a few of the top companies serving the area:
When to Call a Pest Control Pro
Dallas is something of a melting pot for different cultures and lifestyles, but there are a couple of things that everyone here can agree on: We like the Cowboys, and we don’t like household pests.
Orkin in Dallas can help control these critters and has other specialized home services to offer, too.