Some people think Orlando is just Disney World. But as Orlando natives know, The City Beautiful has much more to offer, like a robust food scene, a variety of craft beer, some nice farmer’s markets… and lots and lots of mosquitoes. If you want to enjoy the outdoors, you’ll need professionals with experience, like Orkin pest control in Orlando.
With over 120 years of experience, world-class employee training, and other services such as lawn care treatments (available exclusively in Florida), Orkin makes it their mission to satisfy their customers, with the slogan “We’re not happy, until you’re happy.”
This Orkin review covers everything you need to know about the Orlando Orkin branch’s services and customer experience. We did the research for you. Though LawnStarter has an affiliate relationship with Orkin, this Orkin pest control review is fair and unbiased.
- Same-day service
- Satisfaction guarantee
- Serves the entire Orlando area
- Orkin Orlando At a Glance
- Other Orkin Orlando Services
- Orkin Orlando Highlights
- How to Get an Instant Quote and Order Service Online
- Orkin Orlando Customer Reviews
- Buyers Guide to Choosing a Pest Control Company in Orlando
- FAQ About Pest Control
- DIY Pest Control
- Other National Pest Control Companies Serving Orlando
Orkin Orlando At a Glance
Pests They Treat
|Centipedes and millipedes||✔|
|Pantry pests||Pantry beetles only|
|Rodents (mice, rats, etc.)||✔|
|Stinging pests (bees, wasps, etc.)||✔|
|Basic Pest Services||$45-$85 per month|
|Bed Bug Treatment||$500-$1,500|
|How many states do they serve?||47(Excluding AK, SD, WY)|
|Service Plans Offered|
|Offers eco-friendly options?||✔|
|Does it serve commercial properties?||✔|
|Gives instant quotes online?||✘ (only on the phone)|
|Has an online portal for scheduling, billing, etc.?||✔|
|24/7 customer support?||✔|
|Better Business Bureau rating||A+|
|Additional Services Offered|
|Lawn treatments for pests weeds, and diseases||✓|
Other Orkin Orlando Services
Orkin offers some other useful services in addition to pest control.
Orkin offers three kinds of insulation for your attic or crawl space.
- OrkinTherm is made of 85% recycled materials and is infused with a natural pesticide that is nontoxic to people and animals. It is currently the only pest control product with EPA approval and an Energy Star label. It is effective on these common pests:
- Darkling beetles
- Orkin ComfortZone can save energy (and money on your energy bill), prolong the life of your HVAC system, and make previously unusable storage space available in your home.
- Rolled batting insulation can both control sound and improve air quality. It can reduce heating and cooling loss and protect the things stored in your garage, crawl space, or attic. Plus, it’s made from at least 25% recycled materials.
No one enjoys scooping slimy leaves and debris out of their gutters. You only want to do it when you’re procrastinating something else (like figuring out how to get water bugs out of your pool – another wet chore).
One way to put gutter cleaning in the past is by installing Orkin’s Leaf Stopper®. It is “a specially treated open-cell, multipolymer insert” that can prevent pests and debris from making a home in your gutters, as well as stave off water damage that can lead to serious structural issues. Plus, it doesn’t dent, break, or rust, and gutter inspections are free.
The people of O-Town live every day in the most humid state in the country, but did you know that excessive moisture can lead to mold, termite damage, and structural issues?
If moisture is a problem in your house, you may be interested in Orkin DryZone®. Your Orkin pro will identify high-moisture areas and design a custom program to fix the problem by reducing humidity. This can both extend the life of your pipes and increase your home’s energy efficiency.
Humans aren’t the only ones trying to beat the heat. Squirrels, raccoons, and opossums may take shelter in your attic or walls, creating noise, odors, and even chewing up wires.
Orkin offers a wildlife management service that can responsibly remove any critters that have made your home their home.
Your Orkin pro will plug up potential points of entry to make sure that once they’re out, they stay out. For good measure, Orkin also will put wildlife repellents in high-risk areas.
Orlando is one of the few cities in which Orkin offers lawn treatments. They will work with you to grow a hearty lawn and avoid weeds, pests, and diseases that could endanger your grass’s health. Lawn management services involve six visits annually, and any necessary extra visits are free.
Orlando’s soil type is known as “sandy marine,” which is not ideal for growing grass. To make your lawn the best it can be, you must also consider the challenges posed by a hot climate and the preferences of the grass species you want to grow, which is why it’s often easier to leave it to the pros.
Sanitation Service for Businesses
Workplace cleanliness is more important now than ever before. Orkin’s VitalClean offers a first line of defense against dangerous pathogens. Trained technicians can apply this potent disinfectant to sanitize soft surfaces and kill 100% of bacteria and viruses on hard surfaces.
VitalClean is ranked at the lowest level of toxicity by the EPA, defined as “practically non-toxic and not an irritant.” Orkin pros first spray surfaces, then wipe them down, and the solution dries in 10-15 minutes, so you can rest assured that no danger is posed to your employees.
Orkin Orlando Highlights
Otto Orkin got his start in 1901 as a rat exterminator in Pennsylvania. The products he created were effective and popular, and as his business grew throughout the southern United States, he decided to establish his headquarters in Atlanta, where it remains today.
The Orkin Guarantee
Orkin’s customer satisfaction guarantee is, “We’re not happy, until you’re happy.”
They offer a 30-day money back guarantee, and if you aren’t 100% satisfied, they are committed to working with you until you are. And if they just can’t fix your problem, they will refund your last service payment.
If you like to lay around the pool, enjoy early morning landscaping in the yard, or entertain at night in the backyard, you will encounter mosquitoes.
Each year Orkin releases a list of mosquitoes’ favorite cities in America, based on the numbers of mosquito services administered. In 2022, Orlando was No. 16.
They buzz. They bite. But these nuisances also spread disease, and they love Florida’s warm, wet climate.
Orkin takes a comprehensive approach to mosquito control and prevention, targeting both their breeding grounds and their dwellings.
- Water Treatments: Your pest control technician can treat water containing mosquito larvae with insect growth regulators so that the young bugs never reach adulthood, prohibiting them from reproducing.
- Prevent Eggs From Hatching: If they find eggs instead of larvae, they can use a microbial insecticide to kill the eggs before they hatch.
- Vegetation Treatments: Orkin can target and treat vegetation mosquitoes use as a resting place.
Orkin’s cutting-edge training facility allows its employees to train in environments designed to mimic those they will face in real life. Each employee prepares for the job with 160 hours of training.
Orkin routinely appears on the prestigious Top 125 list in Training magazine, where they are also featured as Editor’s Choice honorees.
Corporate Social Responsibility
To modern consumers, seeing a company do its part to make the world a better place is just as important as the services it can provide. Orkin aims to do just that through its initiatives in sustainability, philanthropy, and education.
In the office:
- Satellite training eliminates about a million miles of travel that Orkin workers previously logged to attend mandatory training sessions. Implemented in 2006, it was the first of its kind in the pest control industry.
- Public transport and carpooling is encouraged by providing discounts to staff members who participate.
- Orkin’s parent company, Rollins Inc., earned the Buckhead Area Transportation Management Association’s “Best Overall Commuter Program” award in Atlanta in 2009.
- Their Environmental Stewardship Group, made up of employees from across the company, reviews Orkin’s practices to make sure they’re eco-friendly and up to date.
In the field:
- Choosing EPA-approved products and ensuring their workers are trained to apply them properly minimizes environmental impact.
- As a member of The National Pest Management Association’s Quality Pro program, Orkin is held to high moral and operational standards.
- Orkin uses software to calculate the most fuel efficient travel routes for their technicians to take.
- Orkin has donated over $220,000 to the Red Cross in the last two years as a part of their “Mosquitoes Don’t Deserve a Drop” initiative, which seeks to increase the nation’s blood supply during the summertime when donations tend to dip – coinciding with mosquito season.
- Orkin pledged to donate $25 to the Red Cross for every mosquito control service purchased from May 24 to June 30, up to $150,000, in 2022.
- They also sponsor blood drives in major cities.
- Orkin partners with the CDC for the annual “Train the Trainers” broadcast to educate hundreds of Orkin professionals on the health risks posed by pests.
- The techs are then better equipped to inform their customers about the threats posed by an infestation.
- Orkin and the CDC have also teamed up to create a few educational resources for homeowners:
How to Get an Instant Quote and Order Service Online
Interested or need to know more? Orkin does not offer instant quotes but they make it easy to schedule a callback for a free quote from an Orlando branch representative. All you have to do is enter some basic information.
Step 1. Start by clicking on “Get a Quote” or “Get a Free Quote” anywhere on Orkin’s website.
Step 2. Select the reason for your inquiry and input some basic contact information. Here, you have the option to select a date and time that best suits your schedule to receive your callback and quote.
It’s important to note that some services require an inspection to diagnose. The service representative who contacts you will likely ask what pest you are dealing with, how long the issue has been occurring, and how large your property is.
Orkin Orlando Customer Reviews
Hear what customers of Orkin in Orlando had to say:
Fixed a problem I didn’t know I had: “When we first bought this house I had some issues and Orkin was here over and over again until we solved it. It turned out that I had a hole under a bathtub that the previous owner did not put concrete back in when he fixed the pipe. Oh my God, I thought I was going crazy! Orkin helped me figure it out and when we renovated, the guys redid the whole bathroom…cemented and sealed everything up properly! There’s always a logical answer, you just have to find it!” – Cheryl M., Facebook
Communicative technician: “We use Orkin for general pest prevention, and have been happy with the results. Especially appreciate our technician who comes to perform the work. He communicates ahead, always makes sure we understand what he will do, and the quality of his work is great. I moved houses and asked Orkin to assign him to our new house, as well.” – Greg H., Google
Effective and informative: “[Our technician] came by and paid close attention to the problem areas. He was informative and explained the life cycle of the ants, his recommendations for service, etc. I told him my concerns with poison and crawling babies, and he said that the gels and sprays they use are safe for children and pets, just avoid the treated areas for 45 minutes until they are dry. He told me that if I still see ants/bugs after a week, to call again and they will send someone out. I followed his advice and called a week later, and another rep was sent out three days afterward and treated the areas again. We used to see a surge of pests in the house after a big rainstorm, but not since Orkin has been coming around! We signed the year contract, and I look forward to having a pest-free house year-round.” – Allison S., Yelp
- 120 years in business
- Extensive hands-on training for all technicians
- Offers several services besides pest control including attic insulation, moisture control, gutters, and wildlife control
- IPM plans available to reduce use of pesticides
- Can be expensive compared to other companies
- Does not offer instant online quotes
Buyers Guide to Choosing a Pest Control Company in Orlando
The services offered at any given branch of a commercial pest control company may vary from those listed on their national websites. It’s good to know exactly what is offered by your local office.
There are two Orkin branches in Orlando, one of which serves both businesses and homeowners and one of which serves only businesses. They are located in the same building and can be reached by the same number.
- Orkin Orlando (residential & commercial)
1900 33rd Street
- Orkin Orlando (commercial only)
1900 33rd Street
Orkin has the materials to take care of a large array of pests. In Orlando, they specialize in the following common bugs:
This modern approach is known as Integrated Pest Management, or IPM, and it focuses on phasing out the conditions that draw pests in the first place. This means using fewer chemicals over time.
But if you have an infestation, you need an immediate solution. Orkin has the tools to combat pests in an eco-friendly way:
- Insect baits are a targeted approach that diminish the need for follow up chemical sprays. They take the form of gels or solid pucks and contain low concentrations of chemical compounds that do not become airborne.
- IGRs, or insect growth regulators, are fake hormones that interfere with a pest’s development. They prevent insects from reaching maturity, which will limit their activity and their population growth.
- Repellents use a combination of compounds extracted from chrysanthemum flowers and silica gel, an inorganic compound that dries out insects’ exoskeletons.
As with other services, it seems that a large factor in customer satisfaction was the assigned employee. The majority of Orlando customers were quite satisfied with their pest control services, and a big point in many reviews was the thoroughness of their technicians.
Those who left negative reviews typically complained that a technician was late to their appointment or that they had difficulty in rescheduling service. Some said they were working with employees who seemed not to care about doing a thorough job. Others said they were unable to get in touch with the office to schedule follow-up appointments.
On the whole, though, it seems customers were generally pleased with their techs, often saying they show up early within the given time window of their arrival and offer a rundown of their procedures and the pest’s behaviors.
Because every pest situation is different, Orkin typically likes to collect some information about the problem before giving you a price. They offer quotes over the phone, but not online.
The cost of pest control in Orlando varies:
- Quarterly service: $79 to $141, or $108 on average
- One-time service: $150 to $300, or $232 on average
It’s worth noting that these estimates are for basic pest services, not specialty services like bed bug, mosquito, or termite control.
In Orlando, Orkin costs $201 for bimonthly service or $141 for quarterly service, paid at $47 per month. One-time service is about $150.
Orkin’s mosquito service is $60 per month. They offer “green” and conventional plans.
FAQ About Pest Control
Orlando is home to many types of pests, but some of the most common of the insect variety are:
Orkin is equipped to deal with these and more. Termite control is its own special service, but roaches, ants, spiders, fleas, and many other household pests all fall under Orkin’s general pest control plan.
Generally, if you can contact your local Orkin office before 2:00 p.m., you can get service that same day.
For times when Orkin is busier, an appointment can usually be scheduled for the next day and even on weekends. They are flexible in working around your schedule.
The short answer is yes. The type of vegetation and its proximity to your home can encourage or discourage pests from attempting to breach your walls.
As a rule of thumb, you don’t want any plants touching your house. These provide shelter for pests and can act as a bridge for them to enter your home. It’s a good idea to keep a clear perimeter a foot or two wide around your house.
This includes overhanging tree branches, which bugs and wildlife alike can use as an avenue to explore what your home has to offer, and ivy that is climbing up your walls.
LawnStarter has plenty of other resources for landscaping in Orlando, including:
• 8 Hot Landscaping Trends for Orlando
• How to Landscape for Wildlife in Orlando
• 5 Best Native Trees to Plant in Orlando
DIY Pest Control
LawnStarter has a slew of articles on DIY pest control, like these:
- Integrated Pest Management for the Lawn
- Integrated Pest Management for the Home
- 8 Best Pest Control Companies of 2022
- The Limits, Dangers of DIY Pest Control
The best DIY pest control practice is prevention. IPM, or Integrated Pest Management, focuses on eliminating the conditions that make your property attractive to pests in the first place.
Don’t leave food out, clean your kitchen regularly (yes, even behind the fridge), declutter your storage areas, and make sure the lids of your trash cans are securely fastened.
Here are some more articles on fighting pests that are common in Orlando
- Cockroach Control: How to Get Rid of Cockroaches for Good
- Termite Control: How To Identify and Get Rid of Termites
- How to Get Rid of Ants in Your Home and Yard
- How to Get Rid of Mice for Good
- How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs in Orlando
- How To Get Rid of Fleas in Your Yard
- Bugs that Bite and Sting in Orlando
- How to Survive Lovebug Seasons in Orlando
Other National Pest Control Companies Serving Orlando
Want more info on pest control in the City Beautiful? Check out our other local reviews.
- Terminix Pest Control in Orlando
- Aptive Pest Control in Orlando
- 10 Best Pest Control Companies in Orlando
When to Call a Pest Control Pro
Orlando is more of a place for tourists than retirees. But if you’re ready to retire from your side gig as a DIY exterminator, you can hire Orkin for the job. The customer reviews speak for themselves, and almost anything is better than suffering through mosquito season in Florida.