If you live in Kansas City, you know that those tornado sirens are just being tested. Probably nothing to worry about. But a sudden buzzing in your ear is enough to make anyone’s skin crawl, and it could mean you’re about to get a nasty sting.
Anything that buzzes, crawls, or stings is likely something you don’t want on your property. When you’re in the market for a professional to handle these pests, you’ll definitely come across Orkin pest control in Kansas City.
This Orkin review covers everything you need to know about the Orkin Kansas City branches’ services and customer experience. We did the research for you. Though LawnStarter has an affiliate relationship with Orkin, this Orkin pest control review is fair and unbiased.
- Same-day service
- Offer whole-home solutions in addition to pest control
- Serves the entire Kansas City area
- Orkin Kansas City At a Glance
- Other Orkin Kansas City Services
- Orkin Kansas City Highlights
- How to Get an Instant Quote and Order Service Online
- Orkin Kansas City Customer Reviews
- Buyers Guide to Choosing a Pest Control Company in Kansas City
- FAQ About Pest Control
- DIY Pest Control
- Other National Pest Control Companies Serving Kansas City
Orkin Kansas City At a Glance
Pests They Treat
|Pest||Orkin Kansas City|
|Centipedes and millipedes||✔|
|Pantry pests||Pantry beetles only|
|Rodents (mice, rats, etc.)||✔|
|Stinging pests (bees, wasps, etc.)||✔|
|Service||Orkin Kansas City|
|Basic Pest Services||$45-$85 per month|
|Bed Bug Treatment||$500-$1,500|
|Feature||Orkin Kansas City|
|How many states do they serve?||47(Excluding AK, SD, WY)|
|Service Plans Offered|
|Offers eco-friendly options?||✔|
|Does it serve commercial properties?||✔|
|Gives instant quotes online?||✘ (only on the phone)|
|Has an online portal for scheduling, billing, etc.?||✔|
|24/7 customer support?||✔|
|Better Business Bureau rating||A+|
|Additional Services Offered|
|Lawn treatments for pests weeds, and diseases||✘|
Other Orkin Kansas City Services
Orkin is equipped to handle several different problems that may arise at home besides pests.
If you’re worried about climate control, Orkin has three kinds of insulation for your attic, garage, or crawl space.
- OrkinTherm can fend off common household pests, as it is infused with a naturally occurring pesticide. It’s harmless to people and pets, and it’s even kind to the planet, being constructed of 85% recycled materials. In fact, it’s the only commercial pest control product with both an Energy Star label and EPA approval. It’s effective against:
- Darkling beetles
- Orkin ComfortZone can turn drafty storage spaces into places to house your precious items, while extending the life of your HVAC and saving you money on energy bills.
- Rolled batting insulation is Orkin’s third offering, and it too has a green feature, being made from at least 25% recycled materials. It is formaldehyde-free, and can provide sound control, too, so you can shout at the Royals game without disturbing the neighbors.
Mosquitoes love standing water for breeding. Wild animals love partial cover for shelter. Plants love places with access to water and sunlight. What part of your home fits these descriptions and is a real pain to clean out?
Orkin offers a free gutter inspection to see if their LeafStopper is right for you. It’s a “specially treated open-cell, multipolymer insert that is shaped and cut to fit snugly in your gutters,” so it won’t ever break, dent, or rust.
And you won’t ever have to climb a ladder to clean out your gutters again.
Excessive moisture in your home creates a more inviting environment for some roaches, mosquitoes, and especially termites. It also can lead to structural deterioration as the wood in your home becomes weaker when consistently damp. If this process begins and then termites move in, it can spell disaster for your home.
Besides visible mold and mildew, warning signs that the humidity is too high include musty smells, bubbling or peeling paint or wallpaper, sticking windows and doors, and warped floorboards.
Orkin offers free moisture inspections for DryZone, their customized program that treats moisture by reducing humidity. Orkin will recommend steps such as:
- Cleaning out the space
- Sealing all vents
- Installing a moisture-blocking polypropylene barrier
- Adding moisture meters
Both you and your Orkin tech will be able to read the moisture sensors so you can stay ahead of any potential problems.
If you smell something funny, hear an unknown commotion in your attic or garage, or notice holes in your yard or garden, you could be dealing with an animal who thinks your house is their house.
Orkin’s wildlife management service can responsibly remove your unwanted guests, seal up possible entrances into your home (such as vents, holes, and pipes), and place wildlife repellents in strategic locations to keep these critters out of your garden.
Sanitation Service for Businesses
Workplace sanitation has become a top priority for customers and employees alike. VitalClean, Orkin’s disinfection service, is powerful enough to eradicate the viruses responsible for the flu, common cold, and COVID-19.
It will kill 100% of these pathogens on hard surfaces and will sanitize soft surfaces. And it does so gently. It received the lowest possible toxicity rating from the EPA, defined as “practically non-toxic and not an irritant.”
Orkin Kansas City Highlights
Otto Orkin founded Orkin pest control in 1901, making them one of the oldest players in the pest control industry. The company is now headquartered in Atlanta and has more than 400 locations worldwide. They have served over 1.7 million customers.
Customer Satisfaction Guarantee
Orkin’s work comes with a 30-day money back guarantee. However, they are dedicated to working with you until you are satisfied, hence their slogan, “We’re not happy, until you’re happy.”
If you still aren’t satisfied, you can opt for 60 days of complementary service or a refund on their last visit.
Orkin’s employee training program is one of the best out there. It steadily secures them a spot on Training magazine’s prestigious Top 125 list, where they also have been featured as Editor’s Choice honorees.
Each employee trains for 160 hours in Orkin’s cutting-edge facility, where they ready themselves for the job by practicing in environments created to mirror situations they will encounter in the field.
Help for New Homeowners
Right now, Kansas City is a seller’s market, meaning that there are more people trying to buy a home in town than there are people selling properties. Everyone wants to move to KC! And who could blame them? Haven’t you tried the barbecue?
Most people get a home inspection as part of buying a new house, but it turns out that home inspectors are not required to point out pest problems.
If you’re a new homeowner or you’re about to become one, it may be worth taking a look at Orkin’s New Homeowner Pest Prevention Checklist. It’s a resource that will tell you what signs of a pest problem look like and where to look for them while you attend open houses, put a contract on a home, or get moved in.
Supporting Education and Public Health
These days, people want to see that the corporations they support are giving back to society in some way.
Every year, Orkin partners with the CDC to educate the public and its own employees on the health threats presented by household pests. The Orkin technicians can then take this information on the road with them and educate their clients so that they know exactly what they’re up against when facing an infestation.
Orkin and the CDC have created some other educational resources on pests for homeowners:
- The Guide to Dangerous Pests brochure
- A hidden home threats checklist
- Their Pest Library, which contains pest info from the CDC
Orkin also partners with the Red Cross in sponsoring two blood drives in major cities during the summertime, when blood donations tend to be at their lowest. They have donated over $220,000 to the Red Cross in the last two years.
How to Get an Instant Quote and Order Service Online
Interested or need to know more? Orkin does not offer instant quotes but they make it easy to schedule a callback for a free quote from a Tampa branch representative. All you have to do is enter some basic information.
Step 1. Start by clicking on “Get a Quote” or “Get a Free Quote” anywhere on Orkin’s website.
Step 2. Next, select the reason for your inquiry and input some basic contact information. Here, you have the option to select a date and time that best suits your schedule to receive your callback and quote.
It’s important to note that some services require an inspection to diagnose. The service representative who contacts you will likely ask what pest you are dealing with, how long the issue has been occurring, and how large your property is.
Orkin Kansas City Customer Reviews
Hear what Orkin customers in Kansas City has to say”:
Great customer service and great pest solutions: “Called at 10 p.m. on a Sunday to schedule someone to come out and rid our home of mice. The rep on the phone provided the BEST customer service I’ve had in a long time. So friendly, and explained everything very well, including that they’d take care of spraying for bugs while they were out. A tech was out the next day who was SUPER knowledgeable and down to earth. He sprayed the house and the yard and also refilled some old bait stations from the previous owners. This was our first experience with pest control and we’re glad we called Orkin.” – Kaymee P., Google
Respectful and helpful: “[Technician] came to our house and was extremely helpful with a mouse problem we’ve been having. He was very knowledgeable and detailed in his work, taking the time to show me what he was doing. Thank you!” – Mike E., Google
Poor communication: “Went to Orkin office and explained my bug problem. Branch manager came to my home to investigate. In the next two months, three technicians came to my house, each one having no idea what my problem was and all had never talked to the branch manager. One technician said he would contact the branch manager and call me back. I never heard from him. Over a month later the branch manager called and said he was out of town but would call the following week to schedule a visit to assess the issue. Never heard from him again. All technicians showed up with 30 minute notice – that’s it. This was a big waste of my time and a frustrating experience.” – Mark S., Yelp
- 100+ years of experience
- Money-back guarantee
- Knowledgeable pest control technicians
- Same-day service
- Other services beyond pest control are available (i.e. insulation, moisture control, wildlife management, gutter protection)
- Customer service varies with a franchise model
- No instant quotes
- Some customers experienced miscommunications
Buyers Guide to Choosing a Pest Control Company in Kansas City
Orkin is a large corporation with offices all over the world, so it is important to know the specifics of what your local branches are offering.
Orkin has three locations servicing Kansas City and the surrounding areas.
- Orkin Lees Summit (residential & commercial)
2810 NE Independence Ave
Lees Summit, MO
- Orkin Lenexa (residential & commercial)
8605 Quivira Road
- Orkin Lenexa (commercial only)
8004 Reeder Steet
Orkin techs have the tools and the training to tackle many types of pests, but in Kansas City, they specialize in some nuisances that are common to the region:
- Bed bugs
- Stinging pests (like wasps, yellow jackets, and hornets)
Orkin operates with the environment in mind, choosing products that are approved by the EPA. They also have other environmentally conscious methods of pest control that don’t involve chemicals.
- Sticky boards are one of the oldest and simplest tools of the trade, but they’re still effective and they don’t use chemicals. They’re best used in areas that are likely to be highly trafficked by pests and not humans, like underneath equipment and appliances.
- Insect growth regulators, or IGRs, are synthetic hormones that disrupt the normal life cycle of insects. IGRs prevent insects from reaching maturity, meaning they cannot reproduce.
- Repellents keep insects away with a combination of naturally occurring compounds extracted from chrysanthemum flowers and silica gel, an inorganic compound that dries out insects’ exoskeletons.
LawnStarter has even more tips for eco-friendly pest control in Kansas City.
The reviews of Orkin in Kansas City are mostly positive, with an average rating of 4.7 stars across nearly 900 reviews.
Most customers reported expedient service, easy scheduling, and knowledgeable pest control experts. Some techs even took the time to explain exactly what they were doing while treating a customer’s house, as well as the typical behavior of the pest at large, so that their clients would have a better idea of how to deal with it.
There were some reviews complaining that nobody communicated when employees were unable to make their appointments, or that technicians arrived early or late. Communication seemed to be the main point of contention, as other customers described a discrepancy between what they were told on the phone and what their technician was actually allowed to do.
Every pest situation is different, and as such, Orkin typically likes to take a look at the circumstances of your infestation before they give a quote.
In general, you can expect a one-time treatment in Kansas City to be between $150 and $600, while a basic services package will cost around $45-$85 per month.
LawnStarter has more in-depth guides on the cost of specific services:
- Pricing Guide: How Much Does an Exterminator Cost?
- Pricing Guide: How Much Does Termite Treatment Cost?
- Pricing Guide: How Much Does Bed Bug Treatment Cost?
FAQ About Pest Control
Ticks and fleas are two of the more bothersome pests in the region. They can spread disease in addition to leaving irritating bites. Locals know to check themselves and their pets for ticks or fleas after spending time outdoors, and there are preventative measures you can take. But what do you do if you find one?
The most worrisome types of ticks in the region are the Lone Star tick and the American dog tick, because they are more likely to carry a harmful disease. Ticks are most active in the late spring and early summer, while fleas are more active in the late summer and fall, but both can be found year-round here.
To kill fleas on your pet, there are a few different approaches, from using a fine-toothed comb to flea shampoo to a flea pill. It’s best to consult with a veterinarian first to make sure you know which option is best for your pet.
Fleas tend not to hang out on their host for very long after they’re done feeding, so after you kill them, you need to wash all of your bedding and all your pet’s bedding, vacuum the carpets and furniture.
Ticks, on the other hand, like to stay attached to their victims for longer. You may have heard of removing a tick with petroleum jelly or even by burning it, but according to the CDC, the best thing to do is carefully pull it off with tweezers.
Orkin has branches all over the country, but if you live near Kansas City, you may be wondering whether or not this article applies to you.
The Orkin offices serving Kansas City aren’t located in the city proper, they’re in Lees Summit and Lenexa. These are the areas that those branches service, according to Orkin’s own website:
• Blue Springs
• Excelsior Springs
• Grain Valley
• Kansas City
• Lees Summit
• Overland Park
• Platte City
• Pleasant Hill
• Prairie Village
• Saint Joseph
Orkin takes a six-step approach to their basic pest control, their termite services, and their bed bug treatments.
1. Investigate: Orkin will look all around the interior and exterior of your home in search of pests or indications of potential pest infestations.
2. Protect: Your Orkin pro will then carry out the pest control measures, such as spraying and setting traps. During this phase they also will get rid of any accessible spiderwebs, wasp nests, etc.
3. Fortify: After that, your technician will cover up any places where pests might wriggle their way into your home, like cracks in your foundation and holes for pipes or wires.
4. Keep Watch: Next, the interior of your property is treated and pest monitors are installed in areas where high pest traffic is likely, such as crawl spaces, attics, and garages, to track the pest activity and make sure the treatment is effective.
5. Report: Your Orkin tech will give you a report of what measures were taken and advice as to how to keep the pests out for good.
6. Follow Up: You will be able to get in touch with Orkin between regularly scheduled visits if additional service is required.
DIY Pest Control
When it comes to DIY pest control, there is a wide variance in how well different methods work. There are so many factors to consider, such as the particular species of the bug you seek to conquer, Kansas City’s continental climate, the plants in your yard, and more.
It’s hard to know what will work and what won’t, but some things that will help are getting rid of things that pests like and making it harder for them to find a way into your house in the first place.
This approach is known as Integrated Pest Management, or IPM, and it includes things like:
- Sweeping behind furniture and underneath appliances – pests are more likely to hang out in undisturbed areas.
- Sealing any holes, cracks, or crevices that could lead into your home. (Some mice can squeeze through cracks as narrow as the width of a pencil.)
- Store food inside of closed containers, and don’t leave dirty dishes in the sink for too long.
- Declutter your storage spaces so that there are fewer places for pests to hide and less for them to chew on.
For more information on IPM and how to handle some of the most common pests in KC, take a look at these LawnStarter guides:
- Does Peppermint Oil Repel Spiders?
- How to Eliminate the Conditions that Attract Rodents
- 10 Common Types of Ants (and How to Control Them)
- How to Get Rid of Wasps, Yellow Jackets, and Hornets
- How to Get Rid of Fleas in Your Yard
- Carbon Dioxide Mosquito Traps – Do They Really Work?
Other National Pest Control Companies Serving Kansas City
LawnStarter has similar reviews of other pest control service in KC if you’d like to explore more options:
- Aptive Environmental Pest Control in Kansas City
- Terminix Pest Control in Kansas City
When to Call a Pest Control Pro
Orkin Kansas City has resources to help you control moisture in your home during those muggy Kansas City summers, manage any wild animals that may have decided your home looked like a nice place to live, and keep termites from turning your house into twigs.
If you’ve been fighting pests on your own and haven’t seen any improvement, it might be time to seek professional help from Orkin to regain a pest-free home and your peace of mind.