When your home or business has a pest problem — be it rats, roaches, termites, or bed bugs — you want a pest control company that’s fast, professional, and most of all effective. Hundreds of pest control companies operate in the U.S. alone, from small, one-truck operations to giant corporate entities.
Choosing the right company for your pest problem can be overwhelming. From preventative barriers to fumigation to baiting and trapping, hundreds of companies claim to be the best choice to keep your home or business pest-free. However, depending on your location, the type of infestation, and your timeline, some services may not be the right fit for your pest control needs.
We looked at the 30 largest national pest control companies to provide our list of the eight most reliable services. For our ranking, we compared pest control companies based on location, types of pests covered, reputation, and cost. We’ve also included a buyers guide to outline the most important factors to consider when choosing a pest control solution.
Our Verdict: Orkin
After comparing results, customer service, online reputation and pricing, we have determined that Orkin is the best option for pest control.
Or call (866) 905-3631 to get a free consult.
Process takes about 30 seconds.
Worth noting: Two of our eight Best Pest Control Companies are combining forces as Rentokil is buying Terminix in a $6.7 billion deal.
Top 8 Pest Control Companies — Reviews
|Company||Pests covered||States covered|
|Termites, Bed Bugs, Moths, Crickets, Fleas, Spiders, Ticks, Hornets, Roaches, Mice, Scorpions, Centipedes, Carpenter Ants, Earwigs, Silverfish, Mites, Beetles, Wheel Bugs, Springtail, Mosquitos, Bird Control, Rodents||47|
|Termites, House Ants, Spiders, Cockroaches, Earwigs, Mice, Rats, Moths, Mosquitoes, Crickets, Paper Wasps, Silverfish, Centipedes, Millipedes, Scorpions, Bed Bugs, Raccoons, Opossums, Squirrels, Skunks||45|
3. Aptive Environmental
|Crickets, Cockroaches, Millipedes, Snails, Pillbugs, Earwigs, Aphids, Ants, Spiders, Rodents, Stingers, Biters, Pantry Pests||30|
4. Rentokil companies
|Ants, Bed Bugs, Bees, Birds, Carpenter Bees, Cockroaches, Crickets, Fabric Pests, Fleas, Flies, Mice, Mosquitoes, Moths, Larger Wildlife, Food Pests, Rats, Rodents, Snakes, Spiders, Stink Bugs, Termites, Ticks, Wasps||46|
5. Truly Nolen
|Termites, Bed Bugs, Rodents, Bees, Wasps, Ants, Beetles, Birds, Boxelders, Bugs, Caterpillars, Crickets, Earwigs, Fleas, Flies, Gnats, Grubs, Lice, Millipedes, Mosquitoes, Moths, Roaches, Scorpions, Silverfish, Spiders, Ticks, Weevils||18|
6. Mosquito Joe
|Outdoor pests only: Mosquitos, Wasps, Bees, Fleas, Ticks||39|
7. Arrow Exterminators
|Termites, Ants, Cockroaches, Spiders, Stink Bugs, Silverfish, Millipedes, Centipedes, Earwigs, House Crickets, Pill Bugs, Mosquitoes, Fire Ants, Fleas, Ticks, Bed Bugs, Stinging Insects, Scorpions, Rodents, Squirrels, Raccoons, Birds||12|
8. Bulwark Exterminating
|Ants, Beetles, Bloodsuckers, Centipedes, Clover Mites, Crickets, Earwigs, Fleas, Flying Pests, Grasshoppers, Millipedes, Mosquitoes, Pillbugs, Red Imported Fire Ants, Roaches, Rodents, Silverfish/Firebrats, Sowbugs, Spiders, Springtails, Wasps, Weevils||14|
Orkin has been the biggest name in American pest control for over 120 years. Founded by Otto “The Rat Man” Orkin in 1901, the pest control giant has since expanded to cover 47 of the 50 United States.
This is a case in which bigger really is better.
Orkin boasts the most comprehensive technical training program in the industry. A state-of-the-art training facility in Atlanta has over 50 simulated infestations on which trainees can practice pest control. Orkin technicians log 160 hours of training before heading into the field, ensuring that they are knowledgeable and prepared for whatever pests they encounter.
Orkin offers same-day service when booked before 2 p.m. The company also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and free supplemental appointments should pests return between scheduled visits.
Beyond its pest control services, Orkin has made a point of supporting environmental education. The company has funded school programs since the 1950s and has major partnerships with the Smithsonian and Houston Zoo to promote a more positive outlook on the insects and mammals sharing our world. Orkin’s online pest library is one of the most comprehensive databases on household infestations in the world.
Orkin’s parent company, Rollins Inc., operates several local pest control operations, delivering Orkin quality service to even more locations. A chief offering of Rollins is the Critter Control brand. Serving 37 states, Critter Control specializes in the humane removal of larger creatures, such as birds, rats, snakes, raccoons, and opossums.
47; not available in AK, SD, or WY
Termites, Bed Bugs, Moths, Crickets, Fleas, Spiders, Ticks, Hornets, Roaches, Mice, Scorpions, Centipedes, Carpenter Ants, Earwigs, Silverfish, Mites, Beetles, Wheel Bug, Springtail, Mosquitos, Bird Control, Rodents
- Most experienced company
- Best technician training
- Same-day service
- Strong company ethics
- More services available through the parent company
- No online booking
- Inspections aren’t free
- “If I ever had any questions, I can call the Lincoln office and get some commentary from them, and the technicians that come to visit. They’ve upped their game in terms of communication to the customer.”
- “They always take care of the problem and they’ve done a very effective job at helping to control pesky ants. One of their best features, besides controlling pests, is when they’re walking around the house, they notice things that need to be fixed.”
- “… When the techs came, they ran around the whole house, did everything, and gave me written instructions as to what things I should do to help. They were very nice, cordial, and left their note. Everything went well.”
Terminix is another giant in the pest control industry, with service in 45 states. Terminix has been around for over 90 years and was the first company to hold a patent for termite control. Termite infestations are still Terminex’s specialty, but the company now handles the full spectrum of household pests.
If your home or building incurs termite damage while a Terminix plan is active, Terminix will cover the cost of repairs. Terminix has an online portal for account management, and commercial clients are assigned a dedicated service representative.
Terminix sets itself apart from the competition with 24/7 availability. Like most pest control companies, Terminix offers free return visits if pests are sighted between scheduled visits.
45; not available in AK, MT, ND, SD, or VT
Termites, House Ants, Spiders, Cockroaches, Earwigs, Mice, Rats, Moths, Mosquitoes, Crickets, Paper Wasps, Silverfish, Centipedes, Millipedes, Scorpions, Bed Bugs, Raccoons, Opossums, Squirrels, Skunks
- Available 24/7
- Best company for termites
- Covers termite damage repairs
- Customers have reported confusion with billing
- “I’ve been a Terminix customer for 30 years and the quarterly technicians have mostly been great. … My home Terminix person calls me, comes, does her job, and always asks me if I need anything extra.”
- “Whoever comes out is always very nice and since having Terminix, I haven’t seen pest activity in the house at all. The bill keeps changing though, which is weird.”
- “I like the automatic nature of the service of Terminix. They come and do it on a regular schedule. … I hired Terminix, haven’t had ants since. I’m getting what I’m paying for.”
The youngest company to make the list, Aptive is a fast-growing eco-friendly alternative to traditional pest control. As part of the Environmental Protection Agency’s Pesticide Environmental Stewardship Program, Aptive is focused on green solutions to pests in 30 states.
Aptive has developed effective control for roaches and crickets that use safe and environmentally conscious chemicals. Aptive also provides humane removal of rodents and other small mammals.
Aptive is the fastest-growing pest control company in the U.S. Though it competes with 100-year-old brands, Aptive became the 7th most profitable pest control provider in just five years. In 2020 alone, Aptive added over 1,000 cities to its service network.
Aptive support is on-call 24/7 and booking can be done entirely online. Like its major competitors, Aptive offers free re-services if pests return between scheduled visits. They also offer a $50 referral incentive.
Taking a leaf from Orkin’s book, Aptive maintains a comprehensive online pest library filled with environmentally-friendly tips on reducing household pest populations. Moreover, Aptive Environmental is a partner of the United Nations’ Nothing But Nets program, donating a portion of its profits to stop the global spread of malaria.
30; not available in AL, AK, AR, CT, DE, HI, IA, LA, ME, MI, MT, NV, NH, NM, ND, RI, SC, SD, VT, or WY
Crickets, Cockroaches, Millipedes, Snails, Pillbugs, Earwigs, Aphids, Ants, Spiders, Rodents, Stingers, Biters, Pantry Pests
- EPA-approved environmentally responsible company
- 24/7 support
- Online booking
- Referral incentive
- Does not treat for termites or bed bugs
- “This service is very effective and friendly. The tech that performed the service today was fantastic. … She was very friendly, upbeat, and thorough with what needed to be done along with making sure I was comfortable with what was being performed and if I had any concerns. Since we have used Aptive we have had no pest issues.”
- “[The technician] took his time carefully inspecting and treating not only the areas that I had concerns about but also the areas that he believed needed to be treated regarding the information that I had given him. [He] listened to my concerns and gave me educational feedback as well!”
- “They are pet and environmentally friendly. We have German shepherds, and the techs are always mindful of them, and for their well being. Their people are always friendly, professional, kind, and caring. We’ve used other services, and Aptive is by far a 10.”
Rentokil is a global giant headquartered in the United Kingdom that is in the process of adding Terminix (No. 2 in our ranking) to its portfolio. Rentokil’s family of brands serves over 80 countries around the world. Through its subsidiaries, Rentokil offers services in 46 U.S. states. In the U.S., the Rentokil brand generally handles commercial pest control, leaving residential services to its subsidiary brands.
Rentokil’s most popular residential brands in America — until the Terminix acquisition — are JC Ehrlich, a Pennsylvania-based company founded in 1928, and Western Exterminator, which has been servicing West Coast states since 1921. The Rentokil family of brands shares the knowledge of a hundred years of experience to ensure competent pest control in any environment.
In 2020, the global coronavirus pandemic inspired Rentokil to put its pesticide-fogging technology to a different use. Rentokil now offers commercial disinfection and sanitization to protect from airborne and surface pathogens. Rentokil even offers drone deployment to fog stadiums and other large outdoor spaces.
46; not available in AK, HI, MT, or ND
Ants, Bed Bugs, Bees, Birds, Carpenter Bees, Cockroaches, Crickets, Fabric Pests, Fleas, Flies, Mice, Mosquitoes, Moths, Larger Wildlife, Food Pests, Rats, Rodents, Snakes, Spiders, Stink Bugs, Termites, Ticks, Wasps
- Widely Available
- Offers commercial disinfectant
- Deploys trusted local companies
- Customers have complained about billing communication
- “ Ehrlich is the best pest control that we have ever used. Our technician is always on time and so professional and knowledgeable. He has solved every pest problem we have had.”
- “We have not been bothered with ants or other pests since Western Exterminators has been providing their service for me, which has been for quite a number of years now. I am very happy with the company and would not hesitate to recommend them to friends and family.”
- “We are pleased with the thoroughness of each visit. We had a roach problem (roaches coming in from outside) which after many follow-ups now seems to be under control. Very pleased with every visit to try to eradicate our problem.”
5. Truly Nolen
Truly Nolen is a family-owned company with over 80 years of experience in pest control. Known for its iconic mouse-shaped Volkswagens, Truly Nolen operates in 18 states, Puerto Rico, and three Canadian provinces.
Truly Nolen’s Four Seasons pest control plan is a quarterly treatment program designed to prepare your home for seasonal changes in pest behavior. In addition to scheduled plans, Truly Nolen offers 24-hour, 6-day emergency response.
Truly Nolen runs a robust research and development program that has, among other things, built the proverbial “better mousetrap.” Truly Nolen has a robust technician training program and follows strict environmental standards.
18: AZ, CA, FL, GA, KY, NE, NV, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, as well as Puerto Rico, Nova Scotia, Ontario, and Saskatchewan.
Termites, Bed Bugs, Rodents, Bees, Wasps, Ants, Beetles, Birds, Boxelders, Bugs, Caterpillars, Crickets, Earwigs, Fleas, Flies, Gnats, Grubs, Lice, Millipedes, Mosquitoes, Moths, Roaches, Scorpions, Silverfish, Spiders, Ticks, Weevils
- 24-hour emergency response
- Available in Puerto Rico and Canada
- Highly trained technicians
- Operates in only 18 states
- Not available on Sundays
- “I have dealt with Truly Nolen professionally for years. So I know how they are behind the scenes, which is first rate. They really care.”
- “A month ago I discovered a hornet’s nest in a tree. I called and someone came out the next day and removed the nest. No problems and I was satisfied with their service. … They have been easy to deal with and very professional. I would definitely recommend them.”
- “Excellent service. Had an estimate for termite control. The technician called 10 minutes out and was on time. Courteous and friendly and knowledgeable. Excellent employee.”
6. Mosquito Joe
Mosquito Joe is a specialist company that deals with outdoor infestations. While most pest control companies keep pests out of your home and living spaces, Mosquito Joe makes sure your yard, garden, patio, and other outdoor spaces are free of stinging and biting insects.
Mosquito Joe uses fogging to rid your outdoor spaces of current pests and sprays a barrier around your property to prevent them from returning. Mosquito Joe helps prevent insect-borne pathogens like Lyme disease and Zika virus from endangering your household. The outdoor pest control company also installs permanent misting systems that can solve the toughest mosquito problems.
Mosquito Joe is based in Virginia Beach and made a name for itself helping southern families enjoy their outdoor spaces without worrying about mosquitoes, ticks, and wasps. The outdoor pest control service provider has since spread to 39 states through its franchise-based business model — Mosquito Joe franchises are locally owned and operated.
Mosquito Joe is part of the Neighborly family of brands, an online home services company that helps homeowners save money by bundling handyman services, HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, and more.
39; not available in AK, HI, ID, ME, MT, NV, NM, OR, SD, WA, or WY
Outdoor pests only: Mosquitos, Wasps, Bees, Fleas, Ticks
- Effective outdoor pest control
- Helps prevent the most common disease-carrying insects
- Can be bundled with other services through Neighborly
- Installs permanent mosquito misting systems
- Does not treat any indoor pests
- “My family has been using Mosquito Joe for many summers now and can honestly say that the product works, I have not been bitten by a mosquito in my own yard a single time since we started service with them.”
- “I have tried bug spray, citronella candles, sandlewood, … you name it, even the Cutter fogger. Spray with DEET and the fogger combined would work OK, but only for up to 2 hours and even then I’d still get a couple of bites. … My wife decided to try Mosquito Joe … and we are SO glad she did. I can enjoy our deck again!!!”
- “When they tell you the 1st application is 75% effective, and it will take 2 or 3 applications to really kick in, and you will never be 100% mosquito free — they lie! I just had my 1st application 3 days ago … and if there are mosquitos in my backyard, they either forgot how to suck human blood, or I have evolved stealth technology and their radar cannot penetrate.”
Arrow Exterminators has been serving the Southeastern U.S. since 1964. Their pest control services cover a wide range of common and uncommon household pests, including larger animals like squirrels and raccoons.
Arrow doesn’t stop at pest control. A wide variety of home services, including insulation, moisture control, and even lawn care are offered by their handymen. Arrow Exterminators also work with REALTOR real estate agents to provide home inspections.
In 2009, Arrow launched its Sustainability Through Environmental Practices and Solutions (STEPS) initiative. This company-wide commitment to safe and humane methods makes Arrow a regional leader in eco-friendly pest control.
12: AL, AZ, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, TX, and VA
Termites, Ants, Cockroaches, Spiders, Stink Bugs, Silverfish, Millipedes, Centipedes, Earwigs, House Crickets, Pill Bugs, Mosquitoes, Fire Ants, Fleas, Ticks, Bed Bugs, Stinging Insects, Scorpions, Rodents, Squirrels, Raccoons, Birds
- Provides home inspections
- Handyman and home services available
- Covers only 12 states
- “I’ve had arrow for several years and have never been impressed. Today I had a different tech and it was a night and day experience… he was extremely thorough and explained everything I asked about. He checked the interior of my house, the attic, the crawlspace, and of course the perimeter of the house.”
- “Arrow Wildlife came within 24 hours of my call about snakes in our attic. Rep showed up in mask without being asked (thank you) and found entry points and promptly sealed them. Thank you!”
- “ Arrow does something different — they don’t spray along all the baseboards throughout the house which is what I’d done and what the other exterminators said they’d do. Arrow instead does a direct application spray to just the plumbing areas. … Overall very pleased — let’s just hope I don’t see anymore roaches!”
Bulwark is a family business that serves 25 areas in 14 states. Though Bulwark doesn’t have all the resources of some of the pest control giants, it provides reliable, personal service to its customers.
Bulwark creates a barrier around your home to prevent new infestations and offers free services if new pests are found alive between scheduled treatments. Bulwark deals with a wide variety of common household pests, including ants and rodents.
Advertised as a kid- and pet-friendly service, Bulwark promises that all its chemical treatments are “less toxic than toothpaste”.
14: AZ, GA, IN, KS, KY, MO, NC, NV, OK, SC, TN, TX, UT, WA
Ants, Beetles, Bloodsuckers, Centipedes, Clover Mites, Crickets, Earwigs, Fleas, Flying Pests, Grasshoppers, Millipedes, Mosquitoes, Pillbugs, Red Imported Fire Ants, Roaches, Rodents, Silverfish/Firebrats, Sowbugs, Spiders, Springtails, Wasps, Weevils
- Smaller, family-owned business
- Wide variety of pests treated
- Non-toxic chemical guarantee
- Only available in 14 states
- Does not cover termites or bed bugs
- Slower to respond than bigger companies
- No quotes on phone
- “ The techs always listen if you have a concern and they target what you describe and tell you how they will treat. They usually are spot-on since the techs know the local area bugs and their habits.”
- “I have been using Bulwark for about 6-8 months now, and they have always been great. … They always stress that I can always call for free re-treatments if any problem persists until the next treatment. That really puts me at ease since where I live has a lot of trees and shrubs.”
- “I have a big house on a wooded lot, so there’s always a lot of insect activity for him to deal with. [The technician] handles it amazingly. I love looking out of my windows after he’s been here.”
Buyers Guide: Best Pest Control Services
When you have a pest infestation, you may not have the time to shop around. Pests need to be eliminated quickly, or the problem only gets worse. Luckily, we’ve made choosing a company a bit easier — this buyers guide will lay out the key features that differentiate the top brands.
What to Look For in a Pest Control Company
The following are the factors we looked at when creating this ranked list. We gathered information from the companies themselves and several independent reviewers, including customer feedback.
The most important factor when choosing a national company is to make sure it offers service in your area. We’ve weighted our list to highlight companies that are available to the widest range of customers nationwide.
Types of Pests covered
Most pest control companies handle the same basic range of infestations: ants, small rodents, roaches, flies, etc. However, many pest problems require special tools and skills. Termites and bed bugs are particularly tricky to deal with, and many companies don’t offer treatment for them.
Removal of larger mammals, like raccoons, squirrels, and opossums, may require a specialized company as well. When weighing the companies on this list, we’ve given preference to companies that cover a wider range of pests, either through their main brand or subsidiary businesses.
A lot goes into building a successful service business, but expanding to new customers demands a company stand on its reputation. Some pest control companies have spent over 100 years building their brand into a trusted name.
Whether it’s the company’s years of experience, proprietary technology, or extensive technician training program, we’ve explored the factors that best indicate customer satisfaction and trust. All of the companies on this list have been given a B grade or higher by the Better Business Bureau, and have consistently garnered 4-star and 5-star reviews from their customer base.
The cost of a pest control company is a little trickier to pin down at a glance. Pest control quotes will vary based on your home’s square footage, the type and scope of the infestation, your location, and several other factors.
Because the data isn’t available for all companies, average visit price was considered but not heavily weighted in our ranking. We recommend comparing multiple quotes if your pest problem affords you the time.
DIY Pest Control
If your pests aren’t an infestation but more of a annoyance, you might firs try to show rats the door, spray away ants, or vacuum up spiders.
If you’d rather DIY your pest control before hiring a pro, LawnStarter has you covered. Visit our Pest Control pages — or pick from some of the highlights below — and get rid of those pests on your own:
— How to get rid of mice for good
— How to get rid of fire ants
— How to get rid of Japanese beetles in your yard
— How to get rid of wasps, yellow jackets, and hornets
When you’re ready to throw in the towel or toss the insecticide can, call a pro. Any of the pest control services above will send a specialist to get rid of whatever is bugging, biting, or pestering you and your family.
Main Photo Credit: sipa / Pixabay